Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Meatball stuffed pretzel bites

A super simple pretzel appetizer that is sure to please a crowd! Double this for your next get together and serve with a side of marinara or cheese sauce. The meatballs inside are an added surprise!

For those of you that follow me on Facebook, you know that I made these for the big football game in February. I was a bit apprehensive since I am terrible at making pretzels. I can never get the baking soda mixture right so my pretzels turn out super pale.

I am pleased to say that this time, my pretzels were successful. They turned a beautiful golden brown after baking in the oven and actually tasted like real pretzels. I had a bit of help this time as I used store-bought pizza dough (gasp!) since I didn't have much time to make my own pizza dough.
I baked these earlier in the day and reheated them right before game time. I was able to store them in the refrigerator and warmed them up (covered with a piece of aluminum foil) in a hot oven. We happily enjoyed dunking these in marinara sauce and thought they were a wonderful appetizer.

If you want to, you can use mini meatballs and divide the dough into smaller pieces for a higher quantity. Or, you can just double the recipe below to feed a crowd. I'm pretty sure these will be a hit at your next sports viewing or any other food gathering.



Meatball stuffed pretzel bites 

  • 1 pound pizza dough, left out at room temperature for 15-20 minutes (I used a package of refrigerated pizza dough from the grocery store)
  • 14 frozen meatballs, thawed
  • ¼ cup baking soda
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Coarse sea salt
Directions
Preheat your oven to 420 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.

Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle and cut it into 14 equal parts (rectangle shape).

Place a meatball in the center of the dough and pinch to close. Make sure all seams are secure. Patch up any holes as needed.

Boil 5 cups of water. Add in the baking soda and return to a boil.

Drop in 3 or 4 dough balls at a time into the baking soda mixture for about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove the dough balls and place it on your prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough balls.

Brush the egg onto the dough and sprinkle the tops with coarse sea salt.

Bake in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

These bites are best served hot right after you remove them from the oven. We like dipping ours into marinara sauce, but a melty cheese sauce would be just as good.

Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or in a low temperature oven.

Yield: About 14 servings

Source: Barely adapted from Buzzfeed

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...